What do you see in your mind’s eye when you think about the backyard of your future? What is it going to look like and why does it matter? If you don’t have some idea of what you want your yard to look like, it will be impossible for you to create a plan that is both functional and beautiful. Have no fear though; it’s not as hard as it seems.
So what is your ideal backyard and why did you pick it? Here are few ideas that may get you started:
– A child’s playground with a swing set and slide; perfect for family gatherings over barbecues and playdates.
– A landscaped yard where you can enjoy the beauty of your surroundings.
– A space that is an extension of your living room; a great place to relax after work and unwind with good friends.
-A poolside oasis where you can lounge and tan under the sun’s glow.
-A beautiful fence that keeps your property and family safe and secure.
So how do we get started? Think of this as a way to plan the blueprint for your new backyard.
Step 1: A Clear Outline of Your Existing Property
Before you can begin any designing or landscaping, you need to know exactly where everything is on your property; every rock, bush, and tree. If you’re not home during the day when it’s light out, go outside with a friend at night to take some measurements of existing landscaping, fences, and decks. You can also use reflective spray paint to outline the property.
Step 2: Map Your Property’s Elevation
Before you do anything else, find out what terrain your backyard is made up of so that you know what kind of landscaping will work best. For example, if you have a hilly backyard, you will need to consider which plants can handle that type of terrain. You should also take into account what your yard is made up of; are there rocks or other things that would make it difficult for certain types of landscaping? Remember to always think about functionality as well as beauty.
Step 3: Identify Your Horizons
What do you see when you look into your backyard? Is it a slope that leads down to a fence, path, or pool? If so, this will be the focal point of your yard. Now think about what type of landscaping would suit this area best. You want this to be an inviting space for you to look at every day. Here are some ideas:
– An area with trees, flowers, and vines leading down to your pool or backyard deck
– A beautiful stone walkway that leads up to your pool or patio
– Vegetation growing towards the sun so it can bask in its rays all day long
The best landscaping is the kind that you don’t have to work too hard at maintaining, so choose plants and flowers that will be easy for you to maintain.
Step 4: Decide On Your Entryway
When people come into your property, what do they see first? This can set the tone for their entire visit so make it a good one! If the view from the living room through a window is your backyard, consider decorating it to have a welcoming feel so people know they are in for a good time.
Step 5: How Do You Entertain?
What will be going on in your yard on a regular basis? If you plan on throwing large family barbecues or entertaining pool parties all the time, you will need to make sure that your yard can handle this. Think about seating and space. If you want a backyard oasis where you can lounge and tan, then maybe go for a concrete slab with lots of chairs surrounded by little palm trees. This is the perfect place to read a book or relax after work with a cocktail in hand.
Now that you have the blueprint for your backyard, all that’s left is to start building! You can hire a landscaper or do it yourself. If you choose to DIY, visit your local hardware store and ask for help from an expert who can point you in the right direction.
– Make sure every aspect of your backyard is functional and fits your needs.
– Map out your property with whatever you have available, whether it’s spray paint or a camera.
– Determine the focal point of your yard and make sure everything else flows from it in an organized manner.
– Make sure to consider the different type of plants and flowers that will be easy for you to maintain, as well as what you would like to do in your yard.
– Once your landscaping is done, make sure to invite people over! People will be amazed at how beautiful your backyard looks.
Good luck! You’ll have a beautiful new backyard in no time.