I Injured Myself, How Can I Receive Assistance?

If you have recently injured yourself at work or in public then you may be wondering whether you are entitled to assistance or some form of compensation. You may well be entitled but there are a few things you have to do first. Let’s take a look at three things you should be doing to receive assistance and aid from any injuries you have. 

Types of Injury

Your injury could be anything from a broken finger to a broken back. It could have been sustained by slipping on some fluid without the use of a wet floor sign or you may have fallen down the curb. Depending on the injury you have and how much it prevents you from going about your daily life will depend on the type of assistance you receive. 

Don’t forget an injury doesn’t just mean something has happened to you physically, it can be something that has affected your mind as well. The mind is a powerful thing and if it is struggling due to something that happened then you need to take time to look after it. 

First, you need to make sure you go to the doctor or hospital for a full check-up to make sure there is a record of your injury. Unfortunately, when you apply for help the people dealing with your claim will check you attended the doctors or hospital when it happened. 

Who do You Contact?

If you have been injured at work then you need to consult your boss. They will need to fill in an accident form so there is some paper trail regarding what has happened. After this, you need to take a trip to the doctor’s so your injury is on record. If you need to see a specialist then this will most likely happen after visiting the doctors. It may be a physio or a counselor depending on the injury you have. 

If the injury is preventing you from working and you have no other income then you could apply for short-term disability payments. Give them a call and explain the situation. They may be able to help you get some income to ensure your rent and bills are paid. 

What is the First Step to Receiving Aid?

First and foremost, if you are unable to work due to your injury you need to inform your boss or manager. After you have done this you need to decide if you are going for compensation from the person or company at fault. If you wish to sue then you will need to contact a personal injury lawyer to start a claim. 

Your lawyer will take all the information regarding what happened, where it happened, and what/who was involved. They will work on your case until you get the form of compensation you are happy with. Be prepared for this to take up to 5 years, most cases don’t take that long but they can do depending on if companies and organizations are involved in your case. 

Hopefully, your injury won’t slow you down too much and fingers crossed you get it sorted quickly and efficiently. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *